Everything that we do is guided by our values – including our editorial approach and how we use data.
We use your personal data for many reasons, from understanding how our users engage with our content to informing our marketing and advertising. Ultimately, this allows us to publish the content that you read on our website.
These are the main reasons why we collect and use data about our users:
- To show you content that is relevant to you and to improve your experience on our site
- To provide the services you sign up for, such as subscriptions
- To carry out marketing analysis and send you communications when we have your permission, or when permitted by law
- To enable us to show advertising on our sites
We think carefully about our use of personal data, and below you can find the details of what we do to protect your privacy. This policy covers, among other topics :
- Information about your rights and our obligations
- Clarity about our dealings with you and transparency about how we collect and use your personal data
- Commitments on how we protect your personal data
- Commitments on how we will facilitate your rights and respond to your questions
We will continue to examine how we can provide more clarity to our users about our use of data.
Personal data is any information about you by which you can be identified. This can include information such as:
- your name, date of birth, email address, postal address, phone number (home or mobile), geolocation coordinates
- information about your device (such as the IP address, which is a numerical code to identify your device that can provide information about the country, region or city where you are based)
- information relating to your personal circumstances and how you use our sites and services
Who we are and how to contact us
The data controller for our sites and apps is gWhy, 18b rue des bateliers, 67000 STRASBOURG. This means that we are responsible for deciding how and why we hold and use your personal data. If you want to contact us, you can find our contact details in the “How to contact us” section below.
What personal data we collect and how we use it
We collect personal data when you sign up for our services or when you browse our site or use our apps. This information is used to provide our content and other services, display advertising and analyse how visitors use our site or apps.
The personal data we collect when you register for a cKiBob account.
When you register for a cKiBob account on ckibob.fr we collect:
- your name
- your email adresse
- your postal address (geolocation data included)
- votre numéro de téléphone (home or mobile)
- your date of birth
- some limited data from your social media profile (further information on this is below) if you have signed in to ckibob.fr using your social media details; and your photograph, if you add one to your profile page
You have to choose a username to your create your profile. It will be used when posting content or comments on our site. Please be careful when choosing your username, you will not be able to change it anymore.
When you register for a cKiBob account, we assign you a unique ID number that we use to recognise you when you are signed in to our services. This will recognise you if you sign in using the same account on a new device or through a different application such as the cKiBob app on mobile devices.
- your IP address - a numerical code to identify your device and which can provide information about the country, region or city where you are based
- your browsing history of the content you have visited on our sites, including information on how you were referred to our sites via another website
- details of your devices, for example, the unique device ID, unique advertising ID and browsers used to access our content
We will not collect special categories of data - such as information about your race, political opinions, religion, health or sexual orientation - unless you have chosen to provide that information to us.
Using your social media details to sign into your cKiBob account
When you sign in to our sites or apps using your Facebook login details, you give permission to Facebook to share with us your email address and certain aspects of your Facebook profile if you have made these public on your Facebook profile. This only includes your first and last name, age range, link to your Facebook profile and profile picture. We do not have access to updates on your Facebook profile. If you use your Google login details, you give Google permission to share the information that you have made public in your Google profile. This only includes your first and last name, your email address and whether your email address has been validated, your age range, a link to your Google profile and, if you have one, your profile picture. The same goes for a connection via the other social networks suggested.
We will then use this information to form a profile for your cKiBob account. If you remove the cKiBob app from your Facebook settings, or if you remove the cKiBob from your Google settings, we will no longer have access to this data. However, we will still have the information that we received when you first set up your cKiBob account using your Facebook or Google login. The same goes for the other social networks suggested.
Posting comments on our sites
When you post information on a discussion board or comment publicly on an article on one of our sites, the information you post and your username are publicly accessible. This information can be viewed online and collected by other people. We are not responsible for the way these other people use this information. When contributing to a discussion, we strongly recommend you avoid sharing any personal details, and especially information that can be used to identify you directly such as your name, age, address and name of employer. We are not responsible for the privacy of any identifiable information that you post in our online community or other public pages of the site.
Using our apps
cKiBob app uses information on the content you have viewed. A list of the articles that you have recently viewed is cached in the local storage on your mobile device. You can delete this reading history in the settings of the app. Information on what you have viewed in the app and information on bugs and crashes is also sent to us. You can choose to receive notifications on your mobile device via the app. You can manage these notifications in the settings of the app.
How we collect personal data
We collect personal data when you:
- become a supporter or registering for an account on ckibob.fr
- contribute to fund and support cKiBob
- pay for a subscription or purchase any other products/services
- post in our online community
- sign up for marketing communications
- use mobile devices to access our content
- access our sites, through cookies and other similar technology
- when you contact us via email, social media, our apps or similar technologies or when you mention us on social media.
Why we use your personal data
We use personal data collected through our sites and apps for a number of purposes, including the following:
- To provide the services you sign up for, such as sending out subscriptions. We also use the personal data for related internal administrative purposes - such as our accounting and records - and to make you aware of any changes to our services.
- To send marketing communications when we have your permission, or when permitted by law.
- To personalise our services (for example, so you can sign in), remembering your settings, displaying personalised advertising as well as measuring how effective our online adverts are, recognising you when you sign in on different devices and tailoring our marketing communications based on what you read on our web site.
- To carry out marketing analysis, for example we look at what you have viewed on our site and what products and services you have used to better understand what your interests and preferences are, and to improve our marketing by making it more relevant to your interests and preferences. You can opt out from having your personal data used for marketing analysis by going into your account to the tab “Emails and marketing”.
- To improve our marketing communications, we use a similar technology to cookies to confirm whether you have opened a marketing email or clicked on a link in the email.
- To sell advertising space on our sites.
- For statistical purposes such as analysing the performance of our site and to understand how visitors use them.
- To respond to your queries and to resolve complaints.
- To comply with applicable laws and regulations.
Access permissions that we ask from users of the cKiBob app
When you use the cKiBob app, we ask for the following permissions to access particular functions of your mobile device:
- For the Android version, we ask for permission to access your contact details/profile on your mobile device, so that we can add or find your cKiBob account on your mobile device. We also ask for permission to access the storage on your mobile device, so that you can store content and read when offline.
- For the iOS version, we ask for permission to save pictures to your photo library, so that you can save pictures that you find in our articles on your mobile device.
Legal grounds for using your personal data
We will only use your personal data where we have a legal ground to do so. We determine the legal grounds based on the purposes for which we have collected and used your personal data. In every case, the legal ground will be one of the following:
- Consent: For example, where you have provided your consent to receive marketing emails from us. You can withdraw your consent at any time. In the case of marketing emails you can withdraw your consent by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the email or through your email preferences in the “emails and marketing” tab, when signed into your account.
- Our legitimate interests: Where it is necessary for us to understand our visitors, promote our services and operate our site efficiently for the creation, publication of articles. For example, we will rely on our legitimate interest when we analyse what content has been viewed on our sites and apps, so that we can understand how they are used. It is also in our legitimate interest to carry out marketing analysis to determine what products and services may be relevant to the interests of our readers. You can opt out from having your personal data used for marketing analysis in your account in the “emails and marketing” tab.
- Compliance with law: In some cases, we may have a legal obligation to use or keep your personal data.
Updating your personal data and your profile page on our sites
When you register for an account, you have access to your profile page via "My account" => "My profile". By clicking on “edit profile” you can update your information or provide extra information if you want.
You may also update your marketing preferences under “Our offers and good tips” in your profile.
Personal data that we receive about you from other organisations
Adding to or combining the personal data you provide to us
When you sign up to our services we may add to the personal data you give us by combining it with information shared with us by other trusted organisations. This includes, for example, information about the region that you are located in. We may also add information to improve the accuracy of your delivery address when we send out mail. We may also obtain information from partners whose offers we include in some of our marketing communications and we use this information to ensure that we do not send you irrelevant marketing.
Security of your personal data
We have implemented appropriate technical and organisational controls to protect your personal data against unauthorised processing and against accidental loss, damage or destruction. You are responsible for choosing a secure password when we ask you to set up a password to access parts of our site. You should keep this password confidential and you should choose a password that you do not use on any other site. You should not share your password with anyone else, including anyone who works for us. Unfortunately, sending information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data once with us, we cannot guarantee the security of any personal data sent to our site while still in transit and so you provide it at your own risk.
Who we share your personal data with
We do not share your personal data with other people or organisations that are not directly linked to us except under the following circumstances:
- We may share your data with other organisations that provide services on our behalf such as dealing with online payments and other forms of payment processing, ie credit card transactions and preventing fraud.
- We may also share your data with our advertising partners, as set out in the section about Online Advertising below.
- We may reveal your personal data to any law enforcement agency, court, regulator, government authority or other organisation if we are required to do so to meet a legal or regulatory obligation, or otherwise to protect our rights or the rights of anyone else.
Any organisations which access your data in the course of providing services on our behalf will be governed by strict contractual restrictions to make sure that they protect your data and keep to all data privacy laws that apply. We may also independently audit these service providers to make sure that they meet our standards.
We will not share your personal data with anyone else for their own marketing purposes unless we have your permission to do this.
Some of our webpages use social plug-ins from other organisations (such as the “Facebook Recommend” function, Twitter’s retweet function, Google+ function). These other organisations may receive and use personal data about your visit to our site. If you browse our site, information they collect may be connected to your account on their site. For more information on how these organisations use personal data, please read their privacy policies.
International data transfers
Whenever we transfer your personal data out of the European Economic Area (EEA), we ensure similar protection and put in place at least one of these safeguards:
- We will only transfer your personal data to countries that have been found to provide an adequate level of protection for personal data.
- We may also use specific approved contracts with our service providers that are based in countries outside the EEA. These contracts give your personal data the same protection it has in the EEA .
- Where we use service providers in the United States, we may transfer personal data to them if they are part of the Privacy Shield scheme, which requires them to provide a similar level of protection of your personal data to what is required in the EEA.
How long we keep your personal data
How to contact us
To contact us you may use any of ours forms. The best way being our contact form.
How we may contact you
From time to time we may send you service emails, for example, telling you your subscription is coming to an end or thanking you when you contribute or place an order with us.
Marketing communications and editorial newsletters
If we have your permission, we may send you materials we think may interest you, such as news and updates. Depending on your marketing preferences, this may be by email, phone, SMS or post.
We offer a range of editorial newsletters. You can manage your subscription to these emails through your profile page when you are signed in to your account.
You can decide not to receive these emails at any time and will be able to “unsubscribe” directly by clicking a link in the email or through your email preferences in the tab “Emails and marketing” when you are signed in to your account.
Sometimes we may contact you for market research purposes, for example about a survey. You can opt out from being contacted in this way by signing into your account and going to the tab “Emails and marketing”.
Responding to your queries or complaints
If you have raised a query or a complaint with us, we may contact you to answer your query or to resolve your complaint.
Cookies and similar technology
When you visit our site, we may collect personal data from you automatically using cookies or similar technology. A cookie is a small file that can be placed on your device that allows us to recognise and remember you.
Advertising on our site that is based on cookies and similar technology
We use personalised online advertising on our sites. This allows us to deliver more relevant advertising to people who visit ckibob.fr. It works by showing you adverts that are based on your browsing patterns and the way you have interacted with our site. It then shows you adverts which we believe may interest you.
When you browse our site, some of the cookies and similar technology we place on your device are advertising cookies, so we can understand what sort of pages you are interested in. We can then display advertising on your browser based on these interests. For instance if you have been reading a lot of food and drink articles, we may show you more advertisements for food and drink.
We do not collect or use information such as your name, email address, postal address or phone number for personalised online advertising.
We may also share online data collected through cookies and similar technology with our advertising partners. This means that when you are on another website, you may be shown advertising based on your browsing patterns on ckibob.fr. We may also show you advertising on ckibob.fr website based on your browsing patterns on other sites that we have obtained from our advertising partners.
Online retargeting is another form of online advertising that allows us and some of our advertising partners to show you advertising based on your browsing patterns and interactions with a site away from our site.
For example, if you have visited the website of an online clothes shop, you may start seeing adverts from that same shopping site displaying special offers or showing you the products you were browsing. This allows companies to advertise to you if you leave their website without making a purchase.
Advertising that we place on our site or on other sites
We also use personalised online advertising to promote our own products and services. This means that you may see advertising for our products and services on our site and when you are on other, third party websites, including social media platforms.
Your rights with regard to the personal data that we hold about you
You can view, modify or delete some of data that we hold about you at any time directly in your account page:
- To modify or delete some of your personal data go to "My account" => "My profile" => "Edit profile".
- To view or delete a form go to "My account" under "My forms".
- To view or delete a comment go to "My account" under "My comments".
You can also generate a "machine-readable" copy of all personal data that we hold about you at any time by clicking on "Download my data" under "My data" in "My account".
If the above solutions do not give you satisfaction, you can contact us with regard to the following rights in relation to your personal data:
- Where you have provided us with consent to use your personal data, you can withdraw this at any time.
- Where applicable, you may also have a right to receive a machine-readable copy of your personal data.
- You also have the right to ask us to delete your personal data or restrict how it is used. There may be exceptions to the right to erasure for specific legal reasons which, if applicable, we will set out for you in response to your request. Where applicable, you have the right to object to processing of your personal data for certain purposes.
- If you do not want us to use your personal data for marketing analysis, you can change your settings under "Our offers and good tips" in "My account" => "My profile" => "Edit profile".
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity.
Your California privacy rights
=> Nothing for now